Friday, May 05, 2006

Technology

I've received many suggestions on how to improve my blogging technics and several invitations to link this blog to other sites and blogs. Someone even suggested that I go .com! Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen for the advice and suggestions. I have been polishing up my skills on what I prefer to call computer and internet technology. Allow me to tell you how far along I am, but let me start with some history...

The very first time that I saw a real computer with my two eyes was in 1994. It was not until 1995 that I got to touch one. I was very interested in this intelligent machine and I started to learn about it bit by bit. By the year 2000, I could passably use Microsoft word, exel and powerpoint. Please note thet I did'nt go through any formal training on the same. In the year 2001, I discovered the internet and got hooked. I couldn't believe that this wondeful 'world' was always out there and I had no clue. OK, I used to hear about it but it sounded like science fiction then. I then signed op for a yahoo e-mail address and couldnt get enough friends to contact. E-mails then, consited of very short messages and dozens of 'fowards' that I find so irritating today.
I was fascinated by the amount of information on the web and would spend as much time on the net as my my very shallow pockets could allow. I used to visit cyber cafe's that had private booths so that people would not see me fumbling around with the computer like the novice I was. These cyber cafe's were also frequented by many people who as I was to learn later, were just interested in phonography. This was also a very new phenomenon to me. Naturally, I got curious and had my fare share of the same. I never got hooked though and was soon bored with it. During this time, I also got to know about dating sites. My curiousity got the better of me and before long, I was dating a rich 50-year-old sex bomb in Nairobi (but that's a story for another day).
I have now matured 'internetically' and interested in more positive and educative issues. One latter-day event was the dicovery of the blogging world in late 2005 and that's why you are reading this post.
Apart from what you'd call normal surfing on the net, I dont know really much. Thats why I havent developed this blog very much and haven't linked up with many sites. I have however made some positive inroads by successfully linking with global voices and the KBW(whatever its called). One of these days I will try to upload a photograph. A safari of a thousand miles starts with the famous step!
I know I should go to a class and learn these things only I cant afford it. Pride too has something to do with it.

Ps. I would like to have a really cool e-mail address apart from yahoo. Any suggestions?

11 Comments:

Anonymous AfroM said...

Lol at the 'story for another day!'

I enjoy reading your blog. As you continue this journey in the blogosphere and other experiences on web, i hope you continue to enjoy it! As for any questions about the web experience, please feel free to pose the question either here on your blog or on the Kenyaunlimited open blog, there is a community of 'web fundi's' who would be happy to help out.

I really liked this historical piece, i am looking forward to more!!

Ps.Gmail invitation is already on its way - I have a feeling you might get multiple invites.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Gay Nairobi Man said...

I feel you and I mean that the way its used in the streets (have to be careful what I say now) I am as technologically challenged as you and whatever I do is self taught.

I enjoy your blog

7:40 PM  
Blogger Mimmz said...

Ok, I can't say I get your technophobia as such... but I get that you have it.
All the same, great e-mail address that's not yahoo has to be gmail. It's by google and it's what we who call ourselves technocentric love to use. There's a catch. You have to get an invite from someone who already has a gmail address. Yeah, kinda like a club thingi...

3:09 AM  
Blogger kalipso said...

Going internet is like buying a plot in the bush.You settle where you've cleared.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous mwanaa KYEU said...

Nimependa jinsi unavyotafuna ung'ng'e na kupanga istillahi zako sawasawa kiasi kwamba maudhi yako yanatokeza bayana. Hongera! Nilipitia njia iyohiyo na hivi leo ninaweza kufungua na kufungua nyavuti mbalimbali

4:28 AM  
Anonymous Irena said...

Hi there: We are started somewhere and slowly by slowly you shall get there. Dated a 50 year old sex bomb in NBO , ha!ha! that is a story I would like to hear LOL...

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://goatse.ragingfist.net/

4:04 AM  
Anonymous streaky said...

I see you've already been introduced to spam also ^.

Great story, keep treking :)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous T. Peters said...

great blog i must say, especially in a nation like Kenya, as rare as it is. I personally use Gmail.com for email, but I do not believe that it is public yet.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Barcode Scanner said...

tq very much for ur article , it's very useful to me Barcode Printer!

10:28 AM  
Blogger aa said...

live119|live119論壇|
潤滑液|內衣|性感內衣|自慰器|
自慰套|情趣內衣|
G點|性感丁字褲|吊帶襪|
煙火批發|煙火|情趣用品|SM|充氣娃娃|AV|情趣|
衣蝶|丁字褲|無線跳蛋|性感睡衣|
按摩棒|電動按摩棒|飛機杯|自慰套|
角色扮演|跳蛋|情趣跳蛋|

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home