Thursday, March 30, 2006

A matter of time.

I was to be right back after my last post. I guess I forgot to say that I would be right back -before the end of March! I got the newspaper I was looking for before it was "recycled", read the article, but do I say! Thanks to the writer, Ben Singer, and thanks to you dear reader. I hope to keep the Kenyan villager alive till the end of me. Karibu for the ride...

For a long time now, my posts have been few and for apart. Here in the village, the Internet is not as easily available as out there. In Nyahururu town, there are only four places I can access the net; Three cyber-cafe and the local post office. I don't know how the cafes link up but the post office uses the VSAT things. Yes, those things. The services at the cafes are fair but sometimes can be so slow. there are times it takes like ten minutes to load blogger.com, five minutes to sign in and another ten minutes to load the post page(or whatever its called). Add that to the time it takes to type a post and you are talking about at least 45 minutes (Im not very good at typing -I use one finger from each hand). The computers at the post office are no better. Add the poor attitude of staff there and you are in real trouble. The last time I was there, the comps were very slow. I tried to get someone to assist but they all seemed to be busy (I mean the computer literate ones). When one of the ladies became available, I had to wait until she was through with her obviously delicious cup of Kenyan tea! Of course I just walked out. I wonder why people complain when the government says that it will retrench these guys!

Sometimes I get carried away. What I ment to say is that the cyber-cafes have greatly improved their services and the internet speed is, well, fair. In now clicking away in my favourite one called clicks. They play nice background music (although some clients are louder than the music) but the privacy rating is zero. You can see guys craning their necks trying to see what other clients are doing online, especially the ladies -not to say the ladies are any more polite! Sorry, got carried away again! I just want to say that I hope to post at least twice every week, subject to availability of funds(as the government is so fond of saying). See you soon, ama?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I read about your experiences with the cybercafe.I know what you mean.dont give up on updating us and learn how to type, if you ever get the chance.You willbe amazed with what you can do for 20 minutes.Still THANKS ALOt for all that you do

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Irena said...

he he ati a guy craning to see what the others are typing :-) I'm glad internet services are improving in Kenya and mostly in rural areas, I would like to see more "rural Kenyans" he he ,no pun intended sharing their experiences like you do.This is one of my favorite blog -very real!!

6:21 AM  
Blogger HASH said...

Very interesting read. I'd be interested in hearing more about the difficulties getting online in rural areas in Kenya, so please keep writing. :)

12:30 AM  
Blogger Shiroh said...

Hey Kenyan Villager, thanks for keeping us in progress of rural websification.

Kudos for your mention in the standard.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Ntwiga said...

Keep the posts coming. I keep checking your blog hoping to find your new posts especially after the Church saga . . .

I hope to hear that KPTC will get their act together.

i also remember reading somewhere that it is also possible to set up your blog to post items sent from a cell phone via text messages, that might be easier than fighting with the terrible staff at the internet cafe .. .

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Mutumia said...

or ou could type out your draft post in word first. Once you're done, go online and copy and paste it and that should save you a chunk of on-line time. Au sivyo?

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://goatse.ragingfist.net/

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home